I hate being off sweets. I feel so deprived. Then I rebel, and it's not pretty. The thing is ... I feel so in control when I'm off sugar. It's almost like I can think more clearly. So why I wouldn't want to feel this way all the time, is beyond me.
Anyway, I thought I'd post a list of some of the foods I ate that helped me make it through the 2 months I was off sugar this summer.
- Celery and natural peanut butter - yum
- I learned that when I was craving sweets, it was usually because I was hungry. So I would eat a sandwich, or a breakfast burrito, or any type of substantial meal (not snacky) and then I wouldn't be hungry, and the craving was more or less gone.
- If I felt really deprived, I would "splurge" with a Whopper Jr. It filled me up and was tasty, so I felt like I was spoiling myself.
- Plain Cheerios with vanilla soymilk. When you aren't eating sugar, the 1 gram of sugar in Cheerios tastes plenty sweet. And the vanilla soymilk tastes sweeter than regular milk. (I'm slightly lactose-intolerant, and I just prefer soymilk now.)
- Almonds
- Rice Crackers with Garden Vegetable Cream Cheese
From the middle of July to the middle of August I lost 10 pounds. In the second sugar-free month, I lost 8 pounds. And then, the thrush was gone, and I more or less plateaued for 2 months. Because all of a sudden I allowed myself to eat all the usual snacky things that I enjoy.
The trick is to have foods that you love on hand for when you get a sugar craving. Drink some water. Eat some real food. Take a shower. It will pass. At least that's what I'll tell myself as I dive head first into a yeast-free diet again. Argh.
7 comments:
So, I'm going to venture to say that you're doing pretty darn a-may-zing. Way to go!!
That last comment was from me, btw, I have two blogger accounts for some reason... but just one blog. dumb. :)
Wow! Laura!
You are almost to your goal!
But why is the last bit so hard?? And why can't it just stay off by itself??
You're making it look way too easy....
Tina -- Enduring to the end is definitely the toughest part. I was able to get down to my pre-pregnancy weight after Jenna and Alisa, but I creeped back up a little with both, more-so after Alisa. That's another good thing about daily weighing. You can see when you're up even half a pound and do a little extra that day to help bring it back down. At least that's the idea. MY problem is not thinking of every day as a "splurge" day. Almost daily I think "Today's a Wendy's Frosty day. I deserve it because of (fill in the blanks)"
And yes, I'm almost to my goal weight, but not my goal size. I was a loose 12 after Jenna, and I loved that. I'm probably a perfect 14 right now. So I still have some more inches to lose. That's what Body Pump does for me, though -- tones and strengthens.
BTW, at Safeway, they sell Lactose-free milk. It really tastes like regular milk. That's good for someone like me, I don't like the smell or taste of soy milk. The Lactose-free milk is a little more expensive, but worth it if you struggle with milk.
I really should do this with you, but honestly? I am afraid to commit?!? Could I really do this? Do I want to? I should want to, but it is the holiday season ... ahh!
People keep telling me I'm crazy for doing this right before (during) the holidays but what better time is there than when you would be eating loads of sugar?
How did you do today by the way? I stayed out of the kitchen when everyone was eating pie. Have I already said this? I can't believe how easy it's been !!! I have had absolutely NO cravings. I think it's the green drinks.
Thanks for being there for me!!
Post a Comment