Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Planned Eating

(Quotes from "The End Of Overeating" by David T. Kessler)

"The trick is to identify food that you can learn to eat in a controlled way and that are at least as reinforcing as the foods you once overate." (page 209)

Portion Sizes

"By paying close attention to how much food you eat and how long it sustains you, you learn that portions smaller than you've come to expect will hold you perfectly well.
"There is a strong cognitive element to this process: What I perceive to be satisfying will help me determine whether it actually is. If you say 'I'm going to be hungry after I eat that' or 'That probably won't be enough' when you're served a plate of food, then you'll probably want more.
"But if you believe the food in front of you will fill you up, it's likely to do so... You can begin conditioning yourself to think 'That was enough,' 'That filled me up' or, best of all, 'That was just right." (page 212)

Choose Foods to Eat that Satisfy You

Most diets fail because they don't satisfy. A low-fat diet will keep you feeling hungry. The reason? Fat digests very slowly (2 calories per minute) and sugars (simple carbs) digest at a rate of 10 calories per minute. Protein digests at 4 calories a minute. Foods high in fiber tend to be satisfying because they are broken down more slowly than their processed counterparts.

So the goal is to eat high-fiber, complex carbs (whole grains and veggies) with protein (unprocessed) and a small amount of healthy fat. Nothing new here. What I like about this book is the emphasis that Dr. Kessler places on finding foods that you enjoy, that you don't overeat, and that satisfy you.

"Within these parameters it's important to identify those foods that will satisfy you -- and this is very personal ... The only eating plan that will work for you is one built around the personal likes and dislikes you have accumulated over a lifetime." (page 214)

I've always wanted to enjoy oatmeal. It's good for you, and I tend to like hot cereal, but I just couldn't get into it. I discovered that what my oatmeal needed was raspberries and it suddenly became my favorite morning staple! (~1 cup water, ~1/2 cup oats, dash cinnamon, 1 teaspoon brown sugar, and 1/2 cup berries. yum!)

What foods do you love? What minor changes can you make to these foods to make them more satisfying and better for you? Have you tried whole-grain pasta? How about plain yogurt instead of sour cream?

3 comments:

Jami said...

I'm reading the book. It's taking me forever (SO much to digest - ha ha, get it? Digest? lol)

Anyway... wow. I'm just over half-way through and my eyes have been opened big time. I seriously feel like next to porn, Satan's biggest tool is food. The food industry is Satan's best friend. Dude. I can't stand to eat out or eat something that someone already "made" for me anymore. And the funny thing is, IT'S SO EASY TO NOT EAT THIS JUNK ANYMORE. I have had my weak moments, but afterward, I can tell I've eaten something not good that I'm programmed to eat. Anyway... I'm so glad I have someone who knows what I'm talking about now because Matt doesn't want to hear about it. He doesn't care much about health, says I'm starving myself now that I'm eating healthier, stuff like that. Fun fun! Ok... I've written a lot, so I'll stop now and go read some more. :)

Jami said...

I'm not sure if any of that made sense... but the book is awesome. Thank you so much for telling the world about it. :)

Carrie said...

I cannot taste the difference between plain yogurt and sour cream! It's so awesome!! Have you heard of Zonya? I like her tips and tricks. I bought her cookbook, though she has a lot of the recipes on the website. My favorite is Mexican Lazonya. http://www.zonya.com/tv.html