This week I discovered/admitted to myself another reason why I love yoga: free therapy. There are three yoga instructors at the gym, and each one of them seems (from my perspective, of course--I don't know them outside of class) to be content and happy people: happy with themselves, happy for others, content with life. Throughout class they encourage us to release our stresses through deep breathing and stretching. I always leave class feeling more relaxed, and a little happier.
This week two of them said things that I "know" already, but it hit me differently, based on my own recent experiences.
Kristi read us an article called "Nothing satisfies." It talked about how, in all the hustle and bustle of Christmas time, that we remember that nothing satisfies: not the food, not the gifts, not the parties. If we are feeling unsatisfied, none of these things will bring us satisfaction. Satisfaction must come from within. (and I'll add, from the gospel of Jesus Christ)
Jen said something similar. Our goal should not be on our muscle strength (and I would add "or on our numbers"), it should be contentment with where we're at right now. I've seen this happen so many times. I got down to my goal weight, and I still saw areas that I wasn't "satisfied" with, so I set a new goal. Then, I lost 10 pounds unexpectedly while I was sick last Spring (going well below my "goal"), and I found myself still looking at areas I wasn't happy with.
And while it's good to be goal-driven and active, it's not good to be discontent with the body God has given us. If I'm not happy right now, who's to say I'll be happy when I lose X pounds or inches?
Thanks to some fancy eating on my part, I've gained several pounds in the last few months. I found myself criticizing my body, berating myself for my poor choices, focusing on the "should haves," etc. But all that does is make me continue to eat poorly, and continue to not exercise consistently, and continue to feel sluggish and depressed.
I choose better today.
How many Christmas treats have you thrown away?
Saturday, December 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I've been avoiding or limiting a TON of treats this year because of my gestational diabetes. It stinks. I am such a food addict. Anyway, you really are looking great so don't beat yourself up about a little "mess up" here and there. I think you've definitely got some great overall habits for exercising and eating right.
Touché. (Mom says I use that incorrectly, but who's to say what correct?) You nailed my thoughts on the head. I'm not satisfied. Food no longer satisfies me, so what do you do then? Brian Y said that it must run in our family to be under-worthed and have a low self esteem. Why do you think that is? I wish I were satisfied with my body. But even in my prime, size three in high school I still wasn't satisfied. I knew I was skinny, but I didn't think I looked good. Why is that? Now, not only am I heavier, I've got "mom tummy"! It's not going to go away. Ever. So, I ask myself, how do I be content with myself, but also strive to be healthy? It's quite the dilema. I hope your holiday goes better. You really do look great, and you've got more determination than most people I know! Keep up the good work!
Loved this post! I did a similar one on my family blog! I have to make sure I'm not getting into the never ending cycle. Eat fatty foods---feel depressed---eat more food----feel depressed---eat more food---etc! It's a hard whirlpool to get out of! This week we've been eating healthier...and exercising everyday. And surprise surprise...I am happier. I think more clearly! I don't snap at my kids as much!
It just shows me that I can treat myself every now and then, but the sugary-fatty foods DO NOT bring me happiness!! Food is not love! Food is not acceptance. Food is fuel! Move on! (this is what I tell myself if I start to spiral down) haha!
Love you Laura! You are my inspiration in so many ways!
Post a Comment