Monday, November 3, 2008

I Choose Thin!

I am a very judgmental person. Sometimes when I'm in the grocery store and I see someone who is grossly overweight, I can't stop myself from looking in their grocery cart!! (Will you still be my friend now that you know one of my sins?) And 99 times out of 100 it is full of soda (diet or regular), boxed foods, frozen meals, and sweets. And then, just to be judgmentally fair, I sneak a peak in the carts of thin, in-shape people. Lots of fresh fruits and veggies, high-fiber cereals, and whole-grain breads and pastas.

I have thought a lot about this strange "coincidence" I've found at the grocery store. Thin is a lifestyle. Dieting doesn't work. Consistently choosing THIN is the only way to be so.

Here are a few of my THIN mantras and rules:
  • Nothing tastes as good as thin feels.
  • In the words of my friend Caryn: "it helps if you get used to eating foods that aren't super yummy for most of your breakfasts and lunches. They're still good, just not taste bud bustin' good ... it's not like we entertain ourselves with a daily trip to Disney land... so why would we dazzle our taste buds at every opportunity? If it's delicious, I want to eat MORE of it!" One thing that I eat is oatmeal for breakfast. It's not "taste-bud bustin' good", but good enough, and it's good for me. I put as little sugar as I can stand, and add lots of cinnamon and nutmeg (which make it taste sweeter).
  • Sweets are an occasional indulgence. Key word is "occasional".
  • If I goof up, even numerous times over a few days -- like this Halloween weekend -- I start over right away! Or maybe a better way to say it is "I keep going with my healthy lifestyle" -- since I'm not on a diet, I'm living! And if I want to be fit and thin I don't wait until "next week" or even "tomorrow", I start over keep living the vida THIN right away. "That KitKat (or 5, or 10 mini KitKats, as the case may be) was divine. Yum! What healthy meal should I plan for dinner?"
I choose thin!

1 comment:

Lara said...

Taste bud dazzling, I love that! I have to admit that's not something I have really considered. I'm always trying to make everything taste as yummy as possible. Why not make it so-so so we don't eat as much? Good plan!