Friday, October 30, 2009

Plateau Busting

I've been stuck in 173-175 land for almost a year. And my measurements haven't moved much, either. I recently posted about my determination to make my waist, etc. smaller. Here's my story since then:
  • JuJu started school and I started walking with her to and/or from school.
  • My friend from college started working for Beachbody, and I checked out some of the videos from the library and started doing a mini-workout/stretch first thing in the morning.
  • I kept doing my regular workouts at the gym in the evenings.
  • I increased my weights in Body Pump.
  • I learned how to do squats right, so that my knees wouldn't hurt, so I started doing those regularly.
  • I started doing the No Excuses Workout several days a week (while brushing my teeth).
  • I dance while cleaning the kitchen, and focus on keeping my abs tight all day.
  • I stopped eating so many treats, but declared that I wasn't "off" treats, I just wasn't making and eating many. Don't get me wrong, I still eat treats. just more occasionally.
  • I focused more energy into eating 5 or 6 small meals a day. I found a couple of new-to-me, good choices, such as: edamame (soy beans): low in calories, high in fiber, high in protein. Tasty, and fun to eat. Pistachios: decent fiber, high in protein, and high in fat, so eat wisely, along with fruit or other carb, as a mid-morning or mid-afternoon meal. The fat has the bonus making you feel satiated. Can you feel a difference between full-fat and no-fat dressings? I can. I use full-fat sparingly. I mix some water or vinegar into a small amount of dressing before adding it to my salad.
I was slowly adding all of the things I listed above into my life, and my weight stayed the same for another month and a half. About a month into it, and about the same time as General conference, I decided to give up.

From General Conference I took away a desire to put more energy into the important things in my life.

I'd set a goal to achieve a certain "number" (170) and I was becoming obsessed with that goal, even though I was happy with where I was at, and felt comfortable in my skin. I decided that although I could achieve 170 and even lower, I was doing all that I was willing to sacrifice and to put energy into at this time in my life (exercise, eating well, etc.). I'm not willing to do any more. I have kids and a life to enjoy.

I don't want to be obsessed with my weight or size.

About two weeks later, I saw 171 on the scale. Two weeks later, and I'm seeing 169. And my body measurements are down, too.

I have two theories about why my numbers have finally changed: One, I finally got all (or most) of the puzzle pieces into place. Two, I stopped stressing and embraced my body (not perfectly yet, of course) and felt gratitude for the miracle and blessing that it is.

7 comments:

An Ordinary Mom said...

You go girlfriend ... you are sassy and hot :) !!

Any tips on squats? I feel like I do them right, but I hurt my left knee in May and it is still giving me issues. I finally made an appointment with a PT. We will see how that goes in a week and a half!

An Ordinary Mom said...

And do share how you accomplish the No Excuses Workout while brushing your teeth. You are amazing!

John and Laura said...

I just do the lunges and some squats while I brush my teeth, and then I do the rest after. :) I thought I should have clarified that.

John and Laura said...

As for lunges, I started doing them really, really small, just focusing on tightening the front leg/butt cheek, making sure to keep my knee behind and over my toes. But start small, if your knee is bothering you. I felt kind of foolish doing such a small movement in class, but it transitioned me perfectly.

Lara said...

Way to go! It's amazing the difference a couple pounds can make, isn't it? I've gained a couple pounds and it's very irritating. Time for me to make some changes.

I learned to do a perfect squat because a friend of mine made me do them with a broom stick across my shoulders instead of using any weight. Look up and sit back till your thigh touches your calf. That's how I know I've gone down far enough.

It was really hard with the broomstick! But I got good at it quickly and started using a 45 pound bar with weights. It was definitely worth taking the time to learn it correctly so I wasn't hurting myself.

Amy said...

Nice!!! I've felt the same way. I've actually seen my measurements dropping, but not my weight. So I am grateful for that, but it's been frustrating to see that same number on the scale for a while now! But...that's good advice. I won't stress too much about it, but just keep making the healthy choices I have been making!

Go team...go team go!

Kay said...

Way to go I-da-ho! Great job. Losing weight is a mental thing as well as a physical. It's been said that if you de-stress your life, you will lose weight, stress makes you hold on to the extra weight. Glad to see you've figured out the puzzle!